No November Per Cap

By Ardith Van Riper

     October 6, the Ho-Chunk Nation Legislative Branch announced in a Facebook post that the Ho-Chunk Legislature has decided there will be no November per capita and plan accordingly.  Tribal members are encouraged to apply for COFA and other available programs.

     In July, a similar decision was made at a regular meeting of the Legislature regarding the Per-Capita Declaration for August.  There was no August per cap.  This action resulted in the Legislature initiating an emergency relief program called Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) Other Financial Assistance or COFA.

     The COFA program is intended to assist enrolled tribal members over 18 impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.  The federal CARES Act funds this program.

     Payments to eligible applicants are made monthly from August 1 until December 1 by either check or direct deposit.  The application and additional information are located at

     The Department of Social Services offers a COVID Economic Assistance Program.  The funds are limited to families experiencing financial hardships directly related to COVID.  All assistance is paid directly to vendors.

     The program offers energy/utility assistance, one-month rental assistance, food assistance of $100 per household member up to $500 maximum, and temporary lodging for up to two weeks.

     The COVID Economic Assistance Program has a small pot of funds available, and all requests will be addressed on a first-come, first-served basis.  This program is not like the COFA funds for all tribal members.  This program is similar to the former Economic Assistance Program, and funds can only be spent within Wisconsin’s state.

     The Department of Social Services request inquiry calls only be made from 10:00 AM to noon and 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM, Monday through Friday due to the high volume of incoming applications.  Their phone number is 715-284-2622 extension 5104.

     The Ho-Chunk Housing & Community Development Agency (HHCDA) offers Covid-19 rental assistance, Covid-19 Emergency Utility Loan, Mortgage Assistance, and Utility Grant Assistance to enrolled tribal members.  Those applications and further information are located at